Greetings Avatars, Jedi's, Celestial Beings & all Followers of the Light!

Join me on this fantastic voyage through Time and Space armed with the Harmony of Yoga Sutras and philosophy as my guide.

Friday, December 25, 2009

"When I grow up, I want to be an Old Woman"





Yep, as simple as that, my ambitions have changed a bit in recent years. i can't recall the company or what it is trying to sell, but there is a commercial currently in rotation that knocks my socks off! The hook is, "when I grow up I want to be an old woman." IMO (in my opinion) the simplicity is the beauty. Senior warrior princesses dancing, cheerleading and frolicking around as if their physical bodies were still as agile as their nimble spirits. These ladies have spunk and soul and gray hairs and wrinkles as badges of honor for a courageous life lived. When I grow up I want to be an old woman too.

I've often reminded my girlfriends after a I hate my job, detest my career bitch fest, that of any place in the world, America is IT for career women. The opportunities to manifest in this open society, are a unique condition. i've worked around the globe a few places and traveled to many others. Now, it doesn't mean that it's cream, Manifest Destiny can be grinding. i frequently remind my yogini's, "it's the lioness that hunts!" The laws of the jungle still apply on our fair shores. We felines must not forget to fortify ourselves for the marathon of life. Yoga, Thai chi, massage and energy bodywork are essential, imo :o)When i was younger, probably like you, i outlined several random and disjointed career possibilities for my "grown up" years. Well, in my grown up years, oddly enough i've realized several random and disjointed career paths- funny, just not what i imagined in my youth. i'm sure this is the case for the characters represented in the "Old Woman" commercial. They seem easy with themselves, having grown past the stage of enormous guilt and stress. Neurosis and narcissism have long faded away.... the spirit has been sufficiently challenged- loosened up a bit. i tease my yogini's as we flow thru vinyasas and hold it out in downward facing dog breathing in the trumpets, sax & bass of Fela Kuti's "Zombie," “unwind the spine- loosen up a bit, peddle it out. Don't hold it, It will surely kill you. Let it go,” i encourage. Fela chants, "Zombie not gone stop until you tell em to stop, zombie not gone think less you tell em to think..."

Child's pose- deactivate.

It seems as if time is accelerating. But then my children remind me that 1 minute is forever, when you live in the now. The "Mature stars" of the galaxy featured in the commercial seem to exemplify this notion all over again. On wisdoms path, having shed so much "stuff" and extras, they once again value each minute as precious. They've witnessed the fall of nations, the death of angels and seen some resurrections too. Many mysteries remain unsolved for them, so they learned to make peace and let it be. High steppin' and smiling over, around, through-they kept it movin' all the while transforming in states of grace, shining brighter in the Milky Way each passing year.

I remember being in Japan ten years ago on assignment; I was with the Light Being pictured with me in the photo. She was the only other female manager in our Business Unit in Tokyo. She assured me she was only capable of achieving her position because she worked for a European company- not possible with domestic firms, although her qualifications were topnotch. Tominako-san, I queried her as we slurped Soba noodles in the Soup house, "how old do you think those ladies over there waiting for the bus might be?" I was curious. There were an unusually large number of senior people walking freely about all over Tokyo! It was weird at first. Tokyo is HUGE and densely populated, but here they are, all these well-dressed fashionable old people conducting their lives. Tominako-san, casually replies, "maybe 80's-90's." I of course choke mid slurp, "years old?" I ask. She nods, yes. That blew me away…… I insisted she take me to the Buddhist Monastery in Kamakura, Japan that upcoming weekend. I wanted to see what this Buddhism thing was all about.

Japan, a society that seems to have shifted the paradigm from sick & save to a prevention & preservation healthcare model.

Tominako-san shocked me further when she revealed her age. i underbid by 20yrs. She was meant to be. She opened me up and hipped me to something new. I pray that she is well and still shining bright in her orbit, until we meet again my friend. Now, of course I know that Japan's birthrate is severely compromised therefore there are naturally more older people. These older people were vibrant, self sufficient, and an integral part of society. Completely different from what this American was accustom to witnessing on my home turf. In Singapore there appeared to be more Reflexology corner shops than nail shops here, a subtle shift in priorities.

My girl Ayo, a Nigerian-German musician sings, “ a friend of mine gave me advice, he said, ‘be careful, think twice, before you talk about your life. Protect yourself just keep quiet, the more they know the harder they try to spoil it, spread lies.’ Even though I know he could be right I say I live my life the way I want- I got nothin’ to hide….” i think Ayo will be one of the rapidly vibrating “Mature Stars” of her generation. "Life is real," Ayo croons, real and illusionary in the same instance. I’m learning that we can map our minds to call into manifestation the interactions we wish to experience or require to fulfill our souls desires and destiny. i’ve been doing it on a sub- conscious level for years. Now i am aware, let the games begin!

Curl up the edges up your lips felines. Put a sly smile on your face. Soften your eye muscles, find a single point on which to gaze. Defocus the eyes, stare soft and sexy. Find your passion and hold your Dristi. Inhale deeply, now-, as the waves of life come your way, be still- hold the breath, remain calm. When you come up for air, swim back to shore breathe and catch your breath- pick up your pom poms, hoopla hoops and pogo sticks Rejoice & Ring the alarm!

2009 has been a test for us individually and as a collective. We will rise or fall as a unit. Sure some very wealthy can tap into off shore accounts and relocate, but we’re in this together. Taking care of the most vulnerable among us is essential to the health of this American ecosystem. Healthcare for all, in some form, is essential to maintaining the balance of a society which possesses wise guardians to steward this great nation with able bodies, and of sound mind, while fostering the enthusiasm and ingenuity of the young viral set.

i no longer want to be the top gymnast in the Pac 10, or the VP of Sales or even the perfect mother. i want to be synchronized, a bit bohemian and very at ease, just to name a few. When Anubus comes for me i want my heart to be as light as a feather. My Christmas wish, “When I grow up, I want to be an old woman.”

1 comment:

  1. Wow! When I grow up, I'd like to be an old woman too. Awesome story - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete